Sunday, May 1, 2011

White and Green Chili (Mexican Chili)

This is actually a recipe I adapted from one of Racheal Ray's recipes, but I altered it after the first time I made it to fit my personal preferences better! It's so beyond tasty, and lots have asked for the recipe so here it is! This recipe is to yield a family of 4-6.

You will need:
4-5 Chicken Breasts, or the equivalent amount of chicken tenders. I've used both.
3 cups Chicken Broth
1 jar Salsa Verde
1 purple onion (chopped)
1 jalapeno (chopped)
3 Cans Great Northern Beans
Cumin (I do mine to taste)
Crushed coriander seed (I do mine to taste)
Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil
Cilantro
Limes
Mexican Cheese (Shredded)
Your favorite tortilla chip (I prefer the blue corn! Yum!)

*Boil water and add chicken breasts. Cook until done.
*Chop chicken. I like to use a pizza cutter to dice it. It gives good sizes and is quick and easy!
*In a pot (I like to my cast iron dutch oven!) heat olive oil. Add chicken, salt and pepper and let it simmer a little.
*Add purple onion and jalapeno. Cook for approximately 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
*Add cumin and crushed coriander and stir. Then add the salsa verde
*After cooking for a few minutes, add chicken broth.
*Add one and a half cans of the beans. With the other can and a half, smash beans first, to make a more chili feel, if you prefer.
*Squeeze in some lime juice and let it simmer until its hot enough to your liking!
*Add cilantro shortly before serving.

Serve with shredded cheese and limes, and dip with the chips to your hearts content. Deeeee-licious!

No comments: